MFN-004 Advance Nutrition
Solved Assignment 2021-2022
Advance Nutrition (MFN-004)
Course Code: MFN-004
Assignment Code: MFN-004/AST-1/TMA-1/2021-22
Last Date of Submission: 28th February,2022
|Title Name||MFN-004 Solved Assignment 2021-2022|
|Service Type||Solved Assignment (Soft copy/PDF)|
|Course||Master of Science in Dietetics and Food Service Management|
|Semester||2021-2022 Course: M.Sc. (DFSM)|
|Session||July 2021 session|
|Assignment Code||MFN-004/AST-1/TMA-1 /21-22|
|Product||Assignment of M.Sc. (DFSM) 2021-2022 (IGNOU)|
This assignment is based on Units 1 -19 of the MFN-004 Course.
Section A -Descriptive Questions
There are eight questions in this part. Answer all questions.
1. a) Briefly discuss the main determinants of nutrient requirements.
b) Briefly explain the concept of Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDA) and
Estimated Average Requirement (EAR)
c) What is the purpose behind setting the dietary guidelines?
2. a) What do you understand by Chemical score and biological value of protein? How are
these used to know the quality of protein in the diet?
b) Explain the mechanism of regulation of blood glucose concentration.
c) List some important functions of carbohydrates.
3. a) Briefly discuss the digestion, absorption and transportation of carbohydrates, proteins
b) Enumerate the potential health benefits of dietary fiber.
c) Why is LDL referred to as bad cholesterol and HDL as good cholesterol?
4. a) Diagrammatically explain the functions of two major fluid compartments of the body.
b) Differentiate between Glycemic Load (GL) and Glycemic Index (GI), giving
c) Explain the following:
i) Bioavailability of Vitamin A
ii) FOS (Fructooligosaccharide)
5. a) Explain the term calcium homeostasis.
b) How tryptophan is converted to niacin? Explain with the help of flow chart.
c) Briefly describe the role of vitamin E and selenium in lipid peroxidation.
6. a) What are Probiotics and Prebiotics? Briefly discuss their dietary sources and health
b) Comment briefly on the following:
i) Factors that influence the nutrient needs of an adolescent
ii) Effect of maternal malnutrition on foetal outcome.
7. a) List the different components of energy expenditure. Define BMR and briefly discuss
the factors which influence BMR.
b) Write the functions of following:
8. a) Briefly discuss the following:
i)Nutrient needs and dietary management for lactating women
ii)Dietary modification for the elderly
b) What do you understand by the term calamity and emergency? Briefly discuss the
measures to avoid protein energy malnutrition and micronutrient deficiency during
Section B – OTQ (Objective Type Questions) (20 marks)
1. Briefly explain the following terms giving examples: (10)
ii) Ergogenic aids
v) Functional foods
vi) Essential fatty acids
vii) Amylase Inhibitors
ix) Basal Metabolic Index
x) Resistant Starch
2. Minakshi is a 42 year old housewife female having a mean body weight of 55 kg. Calculate the
energy requirement using the factorial estimation of total energy expenditure.
Note: Refer Unit 2, MFN-004 for the necessary calculations.
3. List the ICMR (2020) recommended allowances for energy, protein, vitamin A, iron, calcium for
the following: (5)
i) Lactating mother
iii) 70 years oldman
iv) 18 years old girl
v) 10 years old boy
MFN-004, MFN 004, MFN004, MFN-04, MFN04, MFN 04, MFN-4, MFN4, MFN 4