MFN-003 Food Microbiology and Safety
Solved Assignment 2021-2022
Food Microbiology and Safety
Course Code: MFN-003
Assignment Code: MFN-003/AST-3/TMA-3 /21-22
Last Date of Submission: 31st December, 2021
Maximum Marks: 100
|Title Name||MFN-003 Solved Assignment 2021-2022|
|Service Type||Solved Assignment (Soft copy/PDF)|
|Course||Master of Science in Dietetics and Food Service Management|
|Semester||2021-2022 Course: M.Sc. (DFSM)|
|Session||July 2021 session|
|Assignment Code||MFN-003/AST-3/TMA-3 /21-22|
|Product||Assignment of M.Sc. (DFSM) 2021-2022 (IGNOU)|
There are ten questions in this part. Answer all questions.
1. a) What is food microbiology? What aspect does it cover?
b) Define food hazard and enlist the four types of food hazards giving suitable
2. a) Describe the stages of bacterial growth.
b) What are the factors affecting the growth of microorganism?
3. a) Enumerate the factors that make a food unacceptable in the context of food safety.
b)List four important factors that are involved in meat spoilage.
c) How do biological contaminants lead to food borne illness?
4. a) Give the symptoms, food involved and preventive measures of the following
b) Enumerate the anti-nutritional compounds present in the food.
5. a) What are food additives? Enlist their different classes and explain their role in
b) Define the term food adulteration. Give the physical detection methods for the
i. Sugar solution in honey
ii. Mineral oil in oils and fats
iii. Chicory in coffee
6. a) What is HACCP? Briefly discuss the principles of HACCP.
b) Define the term packaging. Briefly discuss its importance in context to food quality.
7. a) Explain briefly the natural occurring toxicants in plant foods.
b) Enumerate the various types of environmental food contaminants.
8. a) List few ways by which food handlers may act as an important source of
transmitting food borne illnesses.
b) How can hazards associated with the staff be minimized?
9. a) Discuss the spoilage of following foods:
i. Poultry and Poultry Products
ii. Cereal and Cereal Products
b) What are “Prions”? Discuss any two diseases caused by prions?
10. a) Briefly elaborate on the following food regulations/agreements in the area of food
standardization and quality control.
i. Food Safety and Standard Regulation, 2011
ii. Voluntary Based Product Certification
Section B – OTQ (Objective Type Questions) (20 marks)
1. Explain the following giving appropriate examples: (5)
ii) Water Activity
iv) Food contaminants
v) Artificial sweeteners
2. Describe the relationship between the following sets of terms (2×5=10)
i) Nutrition Labeling and Nutrition Claims
ii) Canning and Sterilization
iii) Food Packaging and Food Toxicity
iv) O-R potential and Spoilage of Meat
v) Food Borne Intoxication and Food Borne Infection
3. Fill in the blanks : (5)
i) A few fermented dairy products are ………….and ………….
ii) Bacteria breakdown complex carbohydrates into …………..which results in…………..of
iii) Moulds produce toxins called…………………….
iv) Enterotoxigenic E. coli causes…………….
v) Reproductive process of yeast is known as ……………………
MFN-003, MFN 003, MFN003, MFN-03, MFN03, MFN 03, MFN-3, MFN3, MFN 3